Purpose of Position
The Director of the Northern York County Historical and Preservation Society (NYCHAPS) will be the main representative of NYCHAPS to the public and outside organizations, a positive representative to the community at large, overseeing all office tasks and acting as an administrative assistant. The Director will coordinate public relations and advertising, creating visibility to proper audiences for NYCHAPS facilities and programs.
Duties of Executive Director
1. Coordinate office duties, including the processing of mail, telephone calls, and emails.
2. Work with online content strategist and newsletter editor to ensure current and future events are properly advertised.
3. Stay informed of committee activities, including but not limited to those at the Maple Shade Barn and the Dill’s Tavern, the distillery committee, and the education committee.
4. Contact local newspapers, TV stations, and other local media to advertise events and programs.
5. Identify public events at which NYCHAPS should be represented (e.g. Charter Day, Latimore Valley Fair).
6. Maintain communication with other historical societies and service organizations.
7. Keep in contact with local community members and organizations, serving as a positive representative of NYCHAPS.
8. Develop outreach to new and current NYCHAPS members. Facilitate programs to increase membership.
9. Develop programs to increase visitation to properties and participation in events and programs.
10. Coordinate and create ways to increase donations.
11. Develop a method to analyze the success of NYCHAPS programs and events so that the organization can focus on its most successful offerings.
12. Increase the amount of volunteers from the membership who will become actively involved in maintaining NYCHAPS properties and help at events and programs.
13. Investigate ways and means to increase revenue to NYCHAPS.
14. Attend board meetings and present a monthly report. Make oneself available to attend other scheduled meetings.
15. Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have:
°A bachelor’s degree or equivalent
°Non-profit or for-profit experience
°Office and publication skills
°Good writing skills
The ideal candidate will bring:
°Enthusiasm for historical education
°An ability to be engaging with children, adults, and the media
°Joy to her/his work
NYCHAPS is seeking a part-time executive director available to work 20 hours per week. The position will require occasional work on evenings and weekends.
Salary negotiable depending on experience
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter